Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Quote

Slightly paraphrased from a book I've been reading.

Faith cometh not from feeling, but feeling from faith

How true is that.

=============================
Reading the Puritans always gives one a quite different perspective on Christianity from that of modern writers (though how one defines modern is up to anyone's guess). The language used is both simple yet profound, at times beautifully elegant and other times frustratingly complicated to work through. Scripture permeates their writings and their writings are often carefully systematized and ordered, with much logical argumentation. Their ability to draw beautiful inferences and analogies from the Old Testament is something often sadly lacking in today's Christian literature.

Am now reading William Bridge's book on "A Lifting Up of the Downcast" and it is an entirely appropriate book for my current season in life. It is a veritable gold mine of wisdom and comfort, though I must confess that sometimes the language used leaves me more than slightly puzzled.

Having gone through roughly a fifth of the book, there is much within it where the writer deals with a Christian's comfort and peace that is so applicable in my life. One point that stuck out was this, as Christians we have no ground for discouragement. Why? Because we do not look within ourselves to find peace and comfort, but rather we are called to look outside of ourselves. In conjunction with a sermon by Paul Washer that I've just heard, there is great liberty in turning one's eyes away from oneself, from one's weaknesses and yes, even one's strengths, and looking upon Him who is able to comfort and fill you to the fullest.

Now there is much good in being introspective, to always examine one's life and motives and to guard against presumption and self-deception. However, if one remains there, where then will one find assurance and peace? For so often do we stumble and fall. Our flesh rises up against us and Satan whispers doubts and accusations into our heart's ears. 'How can God love you after what you've done? Surely you've gone too far this time. Will God do good towards you after all the times you have taken His Grace for granted?' Such is the way Satan attempts to discourage the saints and we must not be ignorant of his devices (2 Cor. 2:11)

Am I good enough? Well we know the answer to that don't we. If we were ever or could ever be good enough, Christ would not need to have died and been pierced for our transgressions. My God is a Living God, and He has promised in His Word that He will do good to those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28). Why then should I despair? Every dark moment is but a passing cloud that covers the light of the sun but for a little time. All my steps were, are and have been planned by the LORD and He knows my every weakness and hurt. Is it not promised that He will not tempt/test us beyond what we can bear?

No guilt in life, no fear in death;
This is the Power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry, to final breath;
Jesus commands my destiny.


Take comfort oh my soul, in the One who was and is and is to come. Trust in the Lord and acknowledge Him in all your ways. Why are you downcast O my soul? Hope in the God of your salvation and He will give you peace, He will give you rest.

No power of hell, no scheme of men;
Can ever pluck me from His hand.
Till He returns, or calls me home;
Here in the Power of Christ I'll stand.


Brothers, let us not remain in discouragement.

No comments: