Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Being Conformed to Him

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

- Romans 8:26-29


"Father. make me like your Son." What a terrifying prayer is that to make. I remember asking that one year ago and then sitting back and thinking, do I really know what I have just asked for?

And I thank the Lord for what He has done in me the past month, not that He has given me some great spiritual victory or experience, but rather for exposing again and again the utter depravity and evil that lurks within my own heart.

The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

- Genesis 6:5

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.

- Matthew 15:19


Sins that I thought I never would have were brought to light through God's Providence. To see ever more clearly the depths which the heart would plunge to in sin. To be confronted with the amazing sinfulness of sin before a God who is infinitely Holy and Righteous. To be afraid of trusting even one's own heart and instead casting oneself upon the mercy of the One who is Faithful and True. To adore the Love and Grace of God displayed in Christ in the light of one's own evil heart. Is not the Love of God beyond measure, that He would die for even one hopeless sinner like me? Love so amazing, so divine.

Lord sanctify me, that I would be pleasing to you. Father, make me like Christ.
Amen

No comments: