Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On Theology

Having recently finished R. C. Sproul's simple book "What is Reformed Theology", I am more convinced then ever that I will never really understand what most theologians go on about high theology or the various -isms of Christianity like Arminianism or Calvinism or Dispensationalism.

Indeed, as I read through Sproul's book, there were often portions when I could not comprehend the thinking and language behind many of his arguments and discussions. I must confess that I am no academic (as my uni results readily show) and the thought of the myriad of concepts and theologies that abound in Christianity intimidate me to a certain degree. Wherein does one find Christ amongst this huge torrent of literature and ideas? With so much disagreement over topics ranging from the basic issue of salvation to predictions of the End Times, what then is the right path and doctrine?

But indeed, as Charles said to me, to borrow a phrase from the Apostle Paul, so many say, "I follow Arminius", or, "I follow Calvin". Who then follows Christ? Man attempts to compartmentalize God and Christ into neat sections, to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. To tie up all the loose ends such that it is as though God is constrained by Man to act only in or through certain ways.

Now do not get me wrong, theology and doctrine and important, maybe even vital for Man to understand God, especially in this day and age of loose theology and poor doctrine. Indeed by learning more about God through theology, we come to a greater amazement and wonderment of Him. However, like what I heard in a sermon by Paul Washer, you can never squeeze God into a neat theology or doctrine. If you do, then there's something that you either left out or distorted in your quest for a neat theology. God is simply too Great and Incomprehensible to fully reduce into man-made theology or doctrine.

As for myself, it all comes back to Christ alone. The argument over limited or unlimited atonement does not interest me, only that the Gospel has to be preached to all so that as many which are to be saved by the Grace of God will be saved. "Once saved always saved" or not, everyday I will examine myself, as the Apostle Paul wrote, and indeed to work out my salvation with fear and trembling.

No comments: