Monday, March 23, 2009

On Relationships

The real beauty of a woman is Christ in her.

I know this is a topic that seems to pop up ever so often on this blog, and I would be a liar to say that it is not something that I have contemplated on at great length in recent months. I also do know that I know exceedingly little of what it really means biblically to be in a relationship, and by extension, marriage.

One of the thing that does bother me though, especially in this modern day consumer culture that has infiltrated the church more pervasively than many realize, is the often lack of passion for God. I pray that I am not being hypocritical or arrogant in this aspect, but this is a very grave issue. Oh there is sometimes a passion for the things of God, but rarely will one hear a person declare, "I do not desire for ministry, I do not desire for accolades or status. I desire Him and Him alone, even at the cost of ministry or comfort or status."

What has this got to do with relationships? Much in every way. To find a woman who has set her mind on spiritual things in SG is already hard enough as it is. To find one whom is God-besot, with a desire for Christ motivated by His sacrifice on the Cross and for His Glory, is rarer than the rarest metal on Earth. Do I seek a perfect woman? No, no. For I know that I myself fall short on so many counts. But I pray that God would be gracious to grant me a person who is a fellow bond-servant and slave in Christ. For what else matters? Does beauty or wealth or intelligence matter in light of eternity? Do not all these things pass away with time? Yet the Beauty of Christ in her never fades, but becomes more magnificent with every step taken as eternity draws nearer.

No comments: